Sunday, January 4, 2015

What's the Escape?

I don't know about you guys but I'm a HUGE reader. I read most mornings and most evenings, if I'm on my phone the chances are that I'm reading. After all, life can get way to hard for me to deal with, reading is my escape; my way to forget all my worries and just not remember anything for a while (besides the story line of course).

Picture source: Robert E. Stutts
"Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with realty after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someones else's imagination after a day that's all too real."
-Nora Ephron

Escape from life is needed from time to time, we can't just keep going on without a break. That is why a lot of people workout, why they write, or why they watch tv for long periods of time. Reading is just a way of going to a place that is make believe and not having to deal with life for a while.

But at the same time it is a way to get away from a day that seamed made up and fake. When the day is too hard to believe, I read. I disappear into a world filled with magic, strange beings, romance, trouble, basically . . . anything to get my mind off of the day I just had

Just a couple of days ago, my life was turned upside down. I didn't know what was going to happen to me, I was confused and lost. So, I read. I didn't have to worry about anything for a while, all I had to think about was the story and that is it. When it was my time to return to reality all the troubles didn't seam as bad, they seamed far away in a land that didn't effect anymore.

Reading takes me away from all the pain I feel. I don't have to worry about anything for that small period of time. It's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment